Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:05:14 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Driver for device on serial (COM) port

Hello, freebsd-hackers! How are you?

    I want to write driver for some device, which is attached to
  standard serial (COM, RS-232) port.
    I want to make this driver full-featured -- with device node in
  /dev, ioctl()s and other. But I don't want to re-implement all this
  serial tty stuff, that is implemented in `sys/isa/sio.c'
    In case of LPT we have `ppbus'. What should I do in case of COM
  port? I want to `take' com port (any calls to corresponding /dev/ttydX,
  /dev/cuaaX and other should failed after this), monitor com port
  state (know about new bytes, etc) and after that detach from com
  port (when device is shutdowned and switched off), so com port could
  be used for other deviced (i.e. modem) without rebooting.
    It looks like userland program, but I really NEED full-featured
  driver, which is controlled via device node...

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev@serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |