Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:04:18 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'for' unexpected.

On 2003-04-10 12:49, Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:39:21PM -0700, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Using a userland and kernel from Sunday, April 6 2003, I hit this when
> > trying to upgrade to today's current too.  Unfortunately, rebuilding
> > /bin/sh didn't quite work while I was in single-user mode...  Probably
> > because the file /bin/sh is 'in use'.  I've brought my workstation
> > up by running while in single user mode:
> >
> > 	# exec /bin/csh
> > 	name# cp /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/sh
> > 	name# exit
> >
> > I'll try rebuilding now.  Who knows *why* this happens?  I think it
> > definitely deserves an UPDATING entry.
>
> I'm interested and puzzled at why this is happening -- /bin/sh itself hasn't
> changed for the past 3 weeks. In the 3 weeks before that, about 4 lines of
> code were changed. I suspect a bug in libc or a bug in one of the tools that
> generates the shell's parsing code (awk, sed, etc.).

Hmmm, something of this sort was probably happening.  I replaced /bin/sh
with bash for a while, booted single user mode, entered /usr/src/bin/sh
and built normally, then replaced /usr/obj/usr/src/bin/sh with /bin/bash
*again* (to avoid bombing half way through installworld when the new sh
was installed), and let it all finish normally.  Rebooted, and now it works.

Sorry for the false alarm everyone...