Date:      25 Jun 2000 01:57:20 +0200
From:      Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, kris@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode_if.h: how should it be done ?

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:
> In message <5llmzyqsfm.fsf@assaris.sics.se> Assar Westerlund writes:
> : The problem is that the source files are hidden in the kernel source
> : directory and not installed.  Where should vnode_if.{src,pl} get
> : installed?  It seems much simpler just to install vnode_if.h in
> : /usr/include/sys.  Patch appended.
>
> No.

> We don't install kenrel internal files.

But it's not kernel internal.  It's used by modules/KLDs ?  Where
should these expect to find it?

> Use SYSDIR instead.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?  Should vnode_if.h just reside in
/sys/sys and be used from there or what?

> : +	${INSTALL} -C -o ${BINOWN} -g ${BINGRP} -m 444 \
> : +		${.OBJDIR}/vnode_if.h \
> : +		${DESTDIR}/usr/include/sys
>
> I object to this part of the patch.  We shouldn't install this file.
> It isn't needed by anything outside of the kernel/drivers.

Well, depends on your point of view if that's outside kernel/drivers,
but it's sure used by modules/KLDs.

> For drivers, it should be built automatically as part of the modules
> build system ala the *_if.m stuff.

Where are these files installed so that they can be used by
third-party KLDs?

/assar