Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:32:55 -0500
From:      "Adam M Ryan" <adam@powersurge.net>
To:        "mpd" <mpd@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: procmail and spamassissan

Actually I used the test for procmail, and I dont see it creating a IN-test.
This is most likely the problem.  But after running the test for procmail,
it still doesn't work.  Not even the log for procmail is created within
Procmail.  Does this have something to do with not have a global procmail
config file?

p5@riptide[~]# procmail DEFAULT=/dev/null VERBOSE=yes /dev/null </dev/null
procmail: [87155] Mon Apr 22 20:24:07 2002
procmail: Rcfile: "/dev/null"
procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/home/p5"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/dev/null"
procmail: Opening "/dev/null"
  Folder: /dev/null

I ran this and it seems to be working correctly.

----
On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 07:34:57PM -0500, Adam M Ryan wrote:
> I have tried all the options and changing the chmod of the dir, still
> procmail doesn't work with SA.

Does procmail work at all? Forget about SA for a minute, and
see if procmail is working correctly. Once it is, getting
SA to work should be trivial.

> I have sendmail running, procmail installed as well as SA, could it be a
> problem that the actual mail doesn't reside in the /home/user dir?  Do I
> need anything special in the .procmail dir?

Not to my knowledge. I keep my rules there, and my procmail log. That's
about it, though.

> With my new files:
>
> p5@riptide[~]# cat .procmailrc
> VERBOSE=no
> MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
> PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
>
> :0fw
> | spamassassin -P
>
> :0:
> caughtspam
>
> p5@riptide[~]# cat .forward
> "| spamassassin || exit 75"

This doesn't look right. The SpamAssassin README says do this:

5. Create a .forward file in your home directory containing the below
lines:

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #user"

I don't know if this actually works or not, as my MTA handles
running procmail for me.

If your MTA isn't using procmail, then it needs to be
invoked from the .forward file.

> Thanks

<snip>

mike