Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:15:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        marc@freebeastie.org
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv (?) freezes box

In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.10002250514310.5532-100000@propro.freebeastie.org>
 marc@freebeastie.org writes:
>A Studio PCTV Rave card (848A chip) is doing fine with fxtv on a dual
>pentium pro (200 MHz) with a lot of RAM (192MB) running 4.0.
>
>I just tried another one in a Pentium 166 MMX with only 32 MB. It runs
>fine. As soon as I try to change from X to a console (Alt-Ctrl-F2),
>which works fine otherwise, the box freezes: blank screen. Sound keeps
>running... Not pingable anymore. Nothing gets it alive again, except
>the power button.

Btw...  i'm thinking about getting a new box at home and want put a
bt878 card in too (besides a `sym', a `fxp', a pci soundcard (sb128?)
and possibly an additional 2-channel pci ide card, oh and of course
a video card too (which ones work well with a bt878 at have 3D support
under X?))  any recommendations for a board/chipset that would work
with that many busmastering devices? (work as in not freeze/crash/panic
under load or like in this case when switching vtys...)  are there
athlon boards that are any good?

 TIA,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>