Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:42:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Lin <atomicj@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   panic: cannot mount root

Dear FreeBSD Users:

I am a beginner trying to install FreeBSD, but
I ran into some problems, they are:

1) panic: cannot mount root

I can install FreeBSD without any problems,
that means copy everything to hard disk,
etc. But after I reboot as instructed in
the setup program, boot: appeared on the
screen, but I just hit <return>, and then
awhile later, I got this problem:

panic: cannot mount root

Then it reboots (15 seconds wait)...

2) X-Window unable to start

I decided that since the root cannot mount,
I use sysinstall to quit to the root (#)
instead. I went into X11 directory and
executed the XF86Config program. In the
XF86Config program, I answered everything
it wanted, but when I tried to execute
"startx" it gives me all this errors saying
that it cannot connect to client or something
like that.

i hope someone can help me, it's my first
day using freebsd. thank you!

-Jason
atomicjello@cyberjunkie.com