Date:      Fri, 27 May 2005 18:37:34 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard deadlock(?) on -current; some debugging info, need help

On Thu, 2005-May-26 13:32:43 -0700, Ted Faber wrote:
>On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 09:08:46AM -0700, Ted Faber wrote:
>Next lock up is now.  Same kernel, pics are at
>
>http://www.isi.edu/~faber/tmp/deadlock/DSCN048{83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91}.JPG

After comparing it with the last URL, I worked out it was actually
http://www.isi.edu/~faber/tmp/deadlock/DSCN04{83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91}.JPG

>My inexpert reading is that one of the threads of the psi jabber client
>is locked on something.   "Something" why I need help. :-)

There are two filesystem locks:
- The psi process (pid 6936) is holding a lock on ad0s1a (probably /)
  The thread in question is waiting on a nfs lock.
- A bash process (pid 6598) is holding an NFS lock and waiting on nfsreq

According to the vnode locks, there's one process waiting on the NFS
lock held by bash and 7 processes waiting on the ufs lock held by psi.
Without access to the actual process and lock structures, I can't be
certain but it looks very much like psi is waiting on the NFS lock held
by bash (there are no other processes waiting on nfs).

It's looking more like an NFS problem.  I'm not sure where to go next
but I'd more strongly suggest that you try to get the system running
without NFS.

It might be useful to know some more details about that NFS mount
(fsid 0x0600ff07).  Can you tell us the mount parameters and what the
server is (OS type).

--
Peter Jeremy