Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:25:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave <dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gartner group article

Forgive me if this has been discussed- I've been out of the
mix for a bit. Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on
the gartner group article linked from the FreeBSD website.
(This seems worthy of a 'chat'.)
I refer specifically to
http://advisor.gartner.com/inbox/articles/ihl2_6398.html

In it they say such things as:
"Unix systems at free or minimal charge will lack the performance
tuning, scalability and hardware platform support to make them suitable
for large commercial applications through 2002 (0.9 probability).

 Linux will not displace mainstream commercial Unix versions from IBM,
Hewlett-Packard, Sun  Microsystems and The Santa Cruz Operation in the
next five years as commercial Unix vendors shift focus to Windows NT (0.8
probability)."

I find the reference to lack of performance tuning and focus on NT
most disturbing, but I hardly consider myself enough of an IT veteran
to draw any real conclusions from this article.

Any thoughts on this?