Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 08:35:36 -0400
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Applixware?

garyj@muc.de wrote:

> Gary Algier writes:
> >I have ApplixWare 4.3.7.  I have read on here that this runs on FreeBSD.
> >I can't get it to install using the supplied script.  It says:
> >       ELF binary type not known
> >when it tries to run executables on the cdrom.
> >
> >Attempts to use rpm (from the FreeBSD ports collection) yield:
> >    root@garnet 336% rpm -i applix-english-4.3-2.office.i386.rpm
> >    package applix-english-4.3-2.office is for a different operating system
> >    error: applix-english-4.3-2.office.i386.rpm cannot be installed
> >Did Red Hat change the ELF format?  Is this hopeless?  Any suggestions?
> >

> I just installed ApplixWare w/o any problems. Read the manpage for rpm and
> use the --ignoreos and --noscripts flags when you install it. Oh yeah, I
> also had to mkdir /var/local/lib/rpm first.
This did it.  rpm worked fine, once I used --ignoreos (and I'm always
telling my l^Husers to RTFM!)

> Also, make sure that you start the Linuxulator. I use the LKM and start
> it with /usr/bin/linux (as root). Of course, you also have to install the
> linux_lib port to get the libraries, etc.
I already had this running.

> ---
> Gary Jennejohn
> Home - garyj@muc.de
> Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com

The application runs (even without brandelf) just fine.  Now if I could
only get all these people with MicroShaft Office 97 & 98 to send their
attachments in Word6.0 format instead, I'll be all set.

Anyone know when Applixware will catch up?

Thanks for the help.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@dgms.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850