Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        marquis@roble.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

John Fieber writes:
> > For one thing 'make -n install' typically doesn't yield readable
> > information unless you first 'cd work/*'.
>
> 'more pkg/PLIST' is generally more efficient......if the PLIST is
> accurate.
>
> > Secondly, while port A installs under /usr/<newdir>, port B
> > installs to /usr/local/etc and port C in /usr/libexec, ...
> > You can never be sure what is going where and it's a rare
> > port that can be uninstalled with 'make uninstall'.

> A more frustrating problem for me are ports that are not
> ${PREFIX} != /usr/local compatible which makes it a hassle to
> install multiple version of a port or separate ports that have
> common files. Also, I occasionaly go through phases of liking
> SysV way of installing things in /opt/<portname>,
> /etc/opt/<portname> and /var/opt/<portname> which a simple 'make
> PREFIX=/opt/<portname>' doesn't really accomplish.

If someone was interested, it would be easy to write a script
that checks all the ports:

 - mount / and /usr read-only
 - mount /usr/local and /usr/local2 read-write, initially empty
   except for the directory structure
 - save mtree dumps of every file in /usr/local and /usr/local2
 - cycle through every port and:
   - build the port with PREFIX=/usr/local
   - install the port, then uninstall the port
   - compare the contents of /usr/local with the mtree file
   - build the port with PREFIX=/usr/local2
   - install the port, then uninstall the port
   - compare the contents of /usr/local2 AND /usr/local
     with the mtree files

If any port exhibited bad behavior, it could also automatically
generate a send-pr report :-)

-Archie