Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:20:25 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        j3 <j3@allied.org>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processor Motherboards

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 04:39:28PM -0400, j3 <j3@allied.org> wrote:

> >> 1) Do people have specific recommendations about boards to buy/don't buy?
>
> I would reccomend against the Tyan Thunder 100.  Call it bad luck, but
> through no fault of my own (misuse, trauma, etc) my SIXTH board in a year
> is arriving tomorrow.  I have had 2 bad PS/2 Keyboard Ports, a failed PS/2
> mouse port, a bad SCSI controller, and most recently a bad IDE controller.
> Perhaps my reseller just got a bad batch, but this has been insane.

Yes, exactly same for Thunder 100. Three boards subsequently failed
within one year for me, all had same failure, one of the processor
current stabilizator smoked. They can call it bad luck or whatever but
it must be some design fault. I think so because machines were
different, one had two PII 400 processors and the other one PII 450,
this is nothing to do with processors, the speed of processors and power
supplies. I refused to get the fourth and spent some money for newer
Thunderbolt as slightly more expensive replacement. I hope the newer
model has better design, unfortunately I have no alternative to Tyan
boards because here are no other resellers which sell SMP boards. Of
course here are other resellers which claim they sell but as far as I
tried they all have great purvey problems.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee