Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 07:53:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange lockup problem

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Andrew V. Stesin wrote:

> [... kbd lockup when switching consoles ...]
>
> # Any idea what the underlying problem is, and what the cure might be?
>
> 	Strange hardware. I remember the rumours this has something
> 	to do with updating the state of kbd "status" LED indicators,
> 	and some brand of kbd controller chips on the MB which has
> 	problems with this.

Who would know what brand that is?

> 	Another source of strange problems
> 	often is hidden in a slightly misconfigured BIOS.

Ah, I wish this were it.  Too bad this system has a Phoenix BIOS, which
is barely configurable in the first place.  Nothing like AMI...

> 	Probably the author of the driver can tell you more detais,
> 	I'm sending the copy to him.

Great, thanks!

> # I'll try these, but all they will do is FIX the problem.  I need to AVOID it.
>
> 	Please remember, FreeBSD is a _volunteer_ project. :-)

You bet.  And it's an incredibly professional bunch of volunteers, too.
I feel better with an operating system where I can actually chat with the
people that wrote the code, rather than one where I have to make a toll
call to talk to some support flunkie who probably doesn't even know how
the system works inside.

> 	Let's wait what the author of keyboard driver will tell us.

Good idea.  Standing by...

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503