Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:21:30 -0400
From:      Mike.Jeays@statcan.ca
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:    3.5 disk drive causing crashes

I have twice crashed an otherwise stable machine by mounting
DOS-format diskettes, using old diskettes that may have had
read errors.  Using mtools doesn't seem to cause the same
problems, so naturally I shall do that in future.

Are there known problems with mounting floppies
(mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt), which are avoided
with mtools?

The keyboard and mouse were totally non-responsive after
these crashes.  I could ping the machine from another
one, through an Ethernet connection.  But both telnet and
ftp would not respond.  Is there anything I could do from
the other machine to regain control, or must I just hit the
reset button and wait for fsck to do its work?