Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:08:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Simon Walton <simonw@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, simonw@delphi.cs.ucla.edu
Subject:   Re: Installation on AST J30

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Simon Walton wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I am attempting to install 2.1.6 on an AST J30 over a 3COM589 E/net
> card (PCMCIA). The standard boot disk fails to recognize the presence of this
> card at all. Using a special PCMCIA boot disk from Tatsumi Hosokawa
> I was able to load FreeBSD. Now, however, FreeBSD itself does not recognize
> the E/net card, although o/wise seems to run ok.
>
>    It appears I need to install the PAO package (from Hosokawa), including
> the pc card daemon, which is not part of the standard dist. I have fetched
> the package but have been unable to recompile the kernel so far.

If you used the PAO-itized 2.1.5-R boot floppy:  After you installed, you
should have done:

cd /stand
./PAOsetup

which would have patched your kernel for PAO automatically, as directed by
the information that came with the boot floppy image.  PAO is not part of
the standard distribution, no, but Hosokawa does a great job documenting
the processes involved.

I had a machine with the same situation as you, and after following all
the instructions, it worked perfectly.  (now win95 is acting up, but
that's another story)