Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:23:26 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel

In message <xzpn1etf7st.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav
writes:
> FreeBSD <freebsd@KIWI-Computer.com> writes:
> > The problem with the fdisk slices is that there is only room for 4 ...
> > disklabel gives us 8, no wait..  6 if you have a swap and 5 if you don't.
>
> Six (a, d, e, f, g, h) plus swap (b), and there's nothing that says b
> has to be a swap partition, so make that seven. There's nothing that
> says a swap partition has to be partition b either, BTW.
>
> Technically, you can use c as well, but that's playing with fire.

I'm on tangent mode this afternoon, so this is not a direct reply.

The use of various slices, e.g. "c" for the whole disk, is steeped in
tradition, when some sites would use a dd(1) command to backup disks to
tape or to other disks.  Similarly slice "a" was used for the root
partition and slice "b" was used for swap, and "g" & "h" were used for
/usr and /export -- at least that's the say Sun sets up their systems.
The "d" and "e" slices were used to divide the disk in half, if you
didn't want to use any of the others.

For the newbies out there, read Evi Nemith's UNIX System Administration
Handbook.  The first edition had a good explanation of this topic with
pictures.

For you newbies out there, the concept of slices and partitions in the
same breath may seem overwhelming, however here is how it works.

FreeBSD partitions a disk using the classic PC fdisk partitions (slices
in FreeBSD speak), so that a disk may be shared with non-FreeBSD
operating systems.  Disklabel partitions (partitions in FreeBSD speak)
are the native BSD and UNIX way of partitioning a disk.  As FreeBSD is
only supposed (logically from our point of view) to see the FreeBSD
partition and ignore the rest (non-FreeBSD slices for all intents and
purposes don't exist when we're running FreeBSD just like FreeBSD
slices don't exist when you're running NT), the partitions within a
slice mimic the traditional partitions on a disk on other UNIX systems,
e.g. Suns.  You newbies can consider FreeBSD partitions as
Microsoft/IBM extended partitions.

The other thing you newbies will notice is the word partition and slice
being used interchangeably.  BSD documentation uses the word partition
to describe a partition in the context of disklabel.  Of course IBM and
Microsoft also use that word to describe fdisk partitions (slices in
FreeBSD speak).  To add to the confusion, Sun and AT&T used the word
slices to describe their version of disklabel partitions, created by a
format(8) command.  This confusion of terms even confuses me who has
been working on UNIX for quite some time.  Just as everything else in
UNIX-land is supposed to be standard, every vendor and author of
software in this business recycles terms for their use.

Here's a Rosetta Stone for all you newbies who may be terribly confused
by all this partitions and slices speak.

Unit                   FreeBSD Speak     M$/IBM Speak
Sun/AT&T
~~~~                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~     ~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~
fdisk partition        slice             partition               -
disklabel partition    partition         extended partition      slice

Of course Microsoft used AT&T's term slice to denote a disklabel
partition when they marketed Xenix.

Hence once again confusion reigns in the IT industry.  (Don't even get
me started about the telecommunications industry).

For you newbies, if you use the above table, hopefully you'll be less
confused.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC