Date:      22 Aug 2000 12:37:56 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupid sysadmin tricks (was: Amanda and Tapedev)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:11:40 -0700, Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com> said:

Blake> hostname /dev/wd0s1a lev 0 FAILED [hostname: [access as bin not
Blake> allowed from bin@hostname.domain.com]

You using .amandahosts or .rhosts? I use the former but believe the
procedure is the same.

I run amdump as "operator" and make sure all my raw disks are readable
by "operator". Then I have to make sure this user can "login" to the
remote machine and local machine (I want to backup the disks on the
machine which is actually running amamda and has the tape drive).

You have to have config each user@host that amanda will "login" as
that it's ok -- in .rhosts or .amhosts. The error log message is very
helpful. You must make sure that "bin   hostname.domain.com" is in
your .rhost/.amandahosts file. I can never remember if defaulting to
the empty host, or the unqualified hostname is sufficient so I do
something like the following, where thanatos is the machine running
amdump:

thanatos# cat .amandahosts
localhost
localhost.shenton.org
thanatos.shenton.org
thanatos.shenton.org    root            # for amrecover as root@thanatos
absinthe.shenton.org    root            # for amrecover as root@abinthe
sisyphus.shenton.org    root

There used to be a bug with hostnames being treated as case sensitive
but I believe that's fixed now.