Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:47:51 -0700
From:      james@blacksun.reef.com (James Buszard-Welcher)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, admin@multinet.net (Graydon Hoare)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: redundant news systems

On Oct 2, 12:15pm, Joe Greco wrote:
> Subject: Re: redundant news systems
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> >
> > > You still have total redundancy.  You just do not necessarily have
> > > 100% guaranteed connection attempts.  But as far as I am concerned,
> > > if I have a crash and people can not connect every 1 out of N times
> > > (where N >= 2) then I am better off than if I have a crash and people
> > > can not connect every 1 out of 1 times.
> > >
> > > So you do everything you can to minimize the chance of them
> > > connecting to a dead address.
> >
> > question: why not ifconfig -alias the IP if/when a server dies?
>
> Because I've had headaches with that kind of stuff in the past.  I've
> seen at least two instances of "mystery ARP reappearances" and have
> generally rebooted to get around them.

The ifconfig -alias option won't help if your Round Robin servers
are on different LANs either...

I guess ultimately, as Joe pointed out, you can only minimize
the downtime caused by a crash and limit the users affected.

--
James Buszard-Welcher  | ph. (847) 729-8600 | "There is water on the bottom
Silicon Reef, Inc.     | FAX (847) 729-1560 |  of the ocean" - David Byrne