Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:24:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        dateck@ludd.luth.se, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status and future of sound drivers ?

According to Luigi Rizzo:
> > settings. Then If your moderboard init your PNP devices then you don't need
> > the pnp code
>
> That's not always true, since at times the boards are initialized but left
> in a disabled state by the bios.

Thats bad but I think we should hav a General PNP init code since on my
card I have ATAPI MIDI AUDIO GAMEPORT AND SBEMUL and if the code for
attaching and detecting PNP is in the sounddriver we have to attach that one
first otherwise there will be no cdrom or gameport.
So if it's possible to extend that pnp code I mentioned so it can check all
pnp devices and init them them that would be the best solution.
I can extend that code unless its already done.

> > I'm very interested in helping developing theese drivers.
>
> I'll keep you updated on what I am doing, and I'll try to synchronize
> efforts with you and possibly others who want to work on this.

Ok I'll put up an annonymous ftp on one of my computers.
I'll let you know when I have done so.
There we can have code for testing.
Is there any driver that you will add or are you most interested in
enhancing the ones that we already have.

I will probebly poke around in audio.c dmabuf.c ad1848.c ad1848_mixer.h
cs4232.c plus the files I add for GUS PNP, called something like iwsomething.

/Tomas

--
Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4:23     |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-231335  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se