Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:33:42 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        current@sysiphos.mi.uni-koeln.de
Subject:   Re: pci bus and current??

On Sep 17, 12:24, J Wunsch wrote:
} As kmitch wrote:
} >
} > I just upgraded to the current (9-15), and now my kernel does not
} > probe my pci bus anymore, and thus can't find my hard drives.
}
} Perhaps we could exchange something?  My plain old 386sx/16 ISA
} testbed now starts probing for PCI -- and it actually claims it has
} FOUND something. :-)
}
} (This is with a GENERIC kernel from a self-compiled RELEASE as of one
} week ago CVS sources.)

Sorry ...

There is the new Compaq Proliant, and I'm not quite sure how to deal
with it's lack of PCI compliance. (I received mail from some Compaq
employer who admitted that their Triflex chip set had this problem.)

Now, I had commited some change, that worked with the Compaq but made
some EISA system hang. I tried to avoid the port accesses that seemed
to hang the EISA system, but now the tests are too weak, and succeed
on some pure ISA systems, too ... :-(

Ok. I'll commit a patch later today, which according to all the results
I received from several -current users (thanks a lot !) ought to work
on ALL systems again.

I'll need feedback on that patch !

Sorry for the inconvenience! I'm doing my best to get this sorted out.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160