Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:58:52 -0500
From:      Carl <no1-carl@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dynamic ipfw ruleset to block all unrequested packets...

Hello, I have been reading through the firewall literature and have set up a
very simple firewall.  It is just for my home connection to my cable modem
service.  I do have a router attached to the cable modem that has my FreeBSD
machine as a DMZ.  The router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and it assigns my FreeBSD
box 192.168.1.100.  The following is my rc.firewall file snippet:

############
# Local IP address of my computer
ip="192.168.1.100"

############
# Dynamic rule set that only allows packets
# that have been requested by this IP
${fwcmd} add check-state
${fwcmd} add deny log all from not ${ip} to any
${fwcmd} add pass all from ${ip} to any keep-state

When I use nmap to scan myself (ie: nmap -sS -p 111 <my @Home IP>) it lists
the sunrpc port as filtered (better than open), but I was wondering if is
possible to make this port disappear?

The other strange thing, when I ping myself (ie: ping <my @Home IP>) the ICMP
packets get through.  Is this because I am not pinging my machine from an
outside source?  If so why doesn't nmap behave the same way?

I have compiled my kernel with all the necessities for the firewall including
others like SYN/FIN and RST dropping.  I have enabled the firewall as well as
SYN/FIN and RST dropping in rc.conf as well.

Am I just too paranoid, or do things seem ok the way they are set?

Thanks...