Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:44:50 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Jeff Palmer <jeff@rexdb.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on DVD

On Feb 1, 2008, at 7:10 AM, Jeff Palmer wrote:

> Personally,  I think the DVD would be a huge waste of resources.
> Most people only need the bootonly or disk 1.  You are talking about
> 650 megs vs. (possibly) 1.5 gigs.  That is a significant bandwidth
> difference.  Some OS's *require* that you download multiple CD's for
> a typical install.. for those projects, DVD media just makes sense.
> for freebsd,  it doesn't.

+1.

If you can get away with the LiveCD, go for it. Only if one has a
lossy or junk net connection at the site would I think the DVD media
be a good idea (apart from what's mentioned above).

As suggested by others, scripts which produce DVD images, and hence
are burnable to DVDs, would be a lot more beneficial to end-users such
as yourself.

-Garrett