Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:31:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems booting kernel from large drive

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Jason J. Horton wrote:
> I have a -STABLE system with a 27gig IBM EIDE, and when I set up the
> system, I only made 2 partitions, / and swapspace. The system has been
> working just fine, till I did a "make world" and installed a new kernel.

I got a whole pile of problems with my 34Gb IDM drive, in the end I needed a
new BIOS to get it to work properly, or had to fake the geometry in the BIOS
because the drive has >65k cyls.

I never figured out what the LBA errors are, but they've gone away since I
played with the BIOS and told it was in fact a 4160/255/63 drive in CHS mode.

(The disk says I should tell the BIOS it's 16383/16/63, but that didn't work at
all =( )

I had to set it up like so to get it to work :

wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DPTA-373420>, LBA, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 32634MB (66835440 sectors), 4160 cyls, 255 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

If you have a solution that works well it would be interesting to know how
you've done it and what Motherboard/BIOS you've got.

	Steve

P.S. your problems may be entirely unrelated of course and have a far easier
solution, this is just my £0.02 worth