Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:40:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Reboot instead of debugger/dump from X11? (Re: an accidental way to pull the plug)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I got a little too fast just now, and did something that I shouldn't
> have done, but what's interesting is, FreeBSD decided to pull the plug
> and instantly reboot, which is usually something to be regarded as
> pathological, so I am letting you folks know.  I haven't analyzed
> exactly what happened to cause it, actually.

With the recent 802.11 panic I posted about a bit earlier, I saw something
rather odd: when the panic took place on the normal text console, the
system dropped to the debugger.  However, when it took place with X11
running, I got an "instant reboot" -- no dump, etc.  So something odd is
happening during even normal failure modes when X11 is running for me.  I
wonder if anyone else is seeing this?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research