Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:47:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      grog@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Another BSD anniversary

J Wunsch writes:
> As Michael Smith wrote:
>
>> As one of the many who were hapless slaves of another operating
>> system, or at best amazed onlookers at the time, may I suggest that on
>> this anniversary those of you who _were_ involved (and you know who
>> you are) hoist a receptacle of your favorite beverage in thanks to
>> yourselves and your fellows.
>
> Ok, i just filled a glass of wine...  My 386BSD 0.1 installation
> floppies are still around on a shelf.  I've talked with Hellmuth
> Michaelis last weekend, he's still got his 0.0 setup somewhere (i
> deleted my floppies to gain space for 0.1 -- blech!).  I know David
> Greenman still owns a set of 0.0 floppies.
>
> Still by its time, the system (0.0) amazed me with its instability. :)
> I've been working with Interactive Unix before on the same machine,
> and BSD looked a lot more promising as an experimental platform.

You should qualify the term "BSD" in that sentence.  I wasn't using
386BSD at the time: I was using BSD/386 version 0.3.1.  You can read
about my experience with that OS in the August 1992 edition of iX.
Basically, I was also using Inactive UNIX, and I was amazed how much
*better* BSD/386 was than Inactive.

Of course, things have changed.  I still have a subscription to BSD/OS
(same OS--for those who don't know, they changed the name at some
point), and recently version 3.0 arrived.  I haven't installed it--I'm
running FreeBSD on my systems.  I still think that BSD/OS is more
stable, but the difference is diminishing, and it's lagging severely
with the features.

Greg