Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:24:51 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
Cc:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: solid state drives?

On Aug 22, 2014, at 12:41, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org> wrote:

> I sort of understand that - but does the SSD have the ability to move =
unchanged data around to even out the wear? That is, if I fill the drive =
with 100GB of never changing files, and then write lots of frequently =
changing files to the last 20GB, does this put all the wear on a small =
portion of the drive, while most of the drive suffers no wear at all? =
Maybe I should do a full backup and restore once a year?

Keep in mind that location is not a physical parameter in an SSD. Better =
(all today ?) SSD=92s do wear leveling where writes are committed to the =
cells that have the lowest write counts. Remember, writes count towards =
wear out while I do not think reads do. So an SSD that has write once =
data (and archive), should never wear out.

So it does not matter where within the block range you write, the SSD =
puts it where it wants :-)

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org