Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:29:40 +0200
From:      Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck fails - mark sectors as bad?

Hello Dan,

> I had a hard drive failure.  I'm trying to get as much data off it as
> I can before I restore from backup.  I have mounted the drive in
> another box and I'm attempting to salvage what I can.

being confronted with disk crashes like the one you described I usually
try to make a last backup of the complete unmounted file systems with dd.
Trying to fix the file system in place, i.e. on the failing disk that is
about to break down completely, makes the situation worse in many cases.
After dd'ing the file systems to a safe disk you can try fsck.

Bj=F6rn Fischer

--=20