Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 22:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Comoletti <rugose@www.delanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: New Install

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Stephen Comoletti wrote:

> > Try moving things onto the motherboard controller and yank the Ultra33
> > out.
>
> Already tried that with no success. Another fallback here is that the
> quantum drive is one of the new ultra ata types..yeah it's nice and
> fast..but so far..only for win95. The motherboard ide isnt fully compat
> with ultra ata and has a minor conflict which causes the drive d to be
> assigned to a non existant device (yes, in windows). So my hd now has
> drives c,e,f instead of c,d,e. Gateway acknowledged this bug and is working
> with intel on it however since the drive was designed for the ultra ata
> controller, they arent putting any real effort into it.

A proprietary *disk*?  Yuck!  I can understand why nothing can read it, it
really doesn't comply with the ST506 interface.

> Since the probe is detecting the ultra33 card as a valid pci pnp device,
> I'm assuming there is a way to make it recognize the drive itself..the
> other reason for wanting the ultra33 card is that it supports lba and I
> will not have the 1024 cylinder limitation.

But I bet the ultra card doesn't speak ST506.  Hm.  Looks like you're
stuck waiting for the Ultra33 driver to come into -current.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo