Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:27:21 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very odd clock problem

> Why is it only this user?  Are they your only user that cares?  Or does
> the time step only happen when they are sending mail?

They appear to be the only user that cares  - or rather the only one that
mails 'root' with the problem.My fellow sysadmin says a cuple of other
people have mailed him privately with the same problem. It does not only
happen which this user is logged in.

> I'm really at a loss here; as I said, it sounds like a very specific
> kernel sniper bug of some sort. 8(

I've set up Peter Jeremys suggestions for ntp statistics collecting
and started it re-running so see what that gives. Interestingly
the problem has not recurred during the time that we have had NTP disabled.

Its hard to tell if the time always jumps back to the same value as wwe
cannot see eactly what it gets set to. I would suspect that it *is*
always jumping back to the same value as when we see it then it is always
within a few days of the same value. I'll have more information when
it goes worng again and I have the ntp statistics.

The only other fact I can think of that may be relevent (in fact is
highly likely to be relevent) is that tis only started occurring when we
switched from running a generic kernel to a custom kernel. The system
ran wiith a custom kerenel build on 4.2-STABLE until around May 1st
when I upgraded the discs and also put 4.3-STABLE onto it (but with
a generci kernel, though locally compiled). This was rebuilt into
a custom kernel for the box a couple of weeks ago and since then the
problem has started happening.

I dont have any funny options in make.conf

WITHOUT_X11=            yes
NO_SENDMAIL=            true
CFLAGS=                 -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS=              -O -pipe

The kernel config removes all ATA and ATAPI devices, all SCSI controllers
other than ahc, all ethers other than xl, and all USB devices. It is
a -STABLE supped on June 11th.

-pete.