Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:54:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, forrie@forrie.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Buildworld fails

:
:But the reasons for keeping tcl _out_ of the main systems are a heck of
:a lot larger than those for perl.  Unfortunately, the tcl folks
:seemingly care very little about maintaining backwards compatibility,
:and many tcl tools require their own specific version of tcl/tk to run.
:That's been a major problem with tcl, and I don't quite understand why
:those folks can't see that.  It certainly would have made tcl the ideal
:language, if they'd just cared a little more about not constantly
:turning tcl apps into legacy apps.

    I would just like to add that I have several TCL/TK projects and
    what Chuck is saying is 100% absolutely true.  Porting between
    releases is a nightmare.

    Not only that, but tcl/tk-8 is unstable.  If we were to make tcl
    part of the base release, it would be a disaster every time a new
    version came out.  Maybe they've fixed their memory corruption
    problems, but...

:Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)