Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:49:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Doesn't anything work around here?

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 01:17:37 -0400 Miles Nordin wrote:

>> Why hasn't anyone done that with these (and possibly other)
>> ports yet?  Thunderbird and Firefox have been broken for ages
> sometimes there are reports of them working (a little).  but, yeah, it
> is reasonable to want to know, even before buying hardware much less
> compiling, whether this port has a working browser or not.

The issue isn't so much a working browser in itself. If I really wanted
that, I could use Solaris, where Firefox and Thunderbird (and probably
most other apps too) have a 32bit ABI. I didn't buy this hardware to work
with FreeBSD either, I got it for free (a friend of mine wasn't using it
anymore).

The point was more or less that every user has to find out for him or
herself, that these ports won't work. And if you compile these two with a
Sun, you invest quite some time.

> Isn't there some spot in the FreeBSD base system where you have to
> choose your thread library, and one works better on sparc64 than the
> other?  Is the thread library that works best on sparc64 set as the
> default right now?

There was a change in the kernel threading in NetBSD a short while ago and
since then Firefox seems to work. This change isn't possible in FreeBSD
though. Besides, I'm not even sure that was the real cause of the problem.
I also read on one of the NetBSD mailing lists that Firefox was now a
32bit app in pgksrc. So now it runs in the same mode as under Solaris
(basicly).

Regards
Chris