Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:07:26 +0200
From:      "Noor Dawod" <noor@comrax.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unexplained high-loads on FreeBSD

------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C083CC.A0EF2C90

Hello all,

I've been trying to fix a problem I'm facing without luck for the last
few weeks. I also searched mailing lists for a similar problem, both
MySQL and FreeBSD, without luck.

The situation is as follows... A brank new server was deployed last
month for our company. It's a 933Mhz Xeon-based server, with 1GB of
memory, a RAID-5 system utilizing 4 IBM SCSI 10K RPM LVD disks. As you
can see, a very high-performance server for our company's Web needs. I
installed FreeBSD 4.1.1 on it, then upgraded to 4.2-STABLE up to last
week's snapshot. Currently, it has Apache 1.3.14 + mod_ssl, MySQL
3.23.31 and PHP 4.0.4pl1 -- as you can imagine, most RECENT versions.

The problem persists, though, and here it is: every once in a while,
sometimes once a week, the mysqld process goes into OVERHEAT state with
CPU usage getting as high as 97%, thus making it almost impossible for
clients to connect to it. I checked mysqld's process usage once while
this happened, and I found around 60 processes (connections). Not a big
deal as I saw much more processes connect to the same daemon before, and
still it continued to work.

Anyways, this problem keeps bugging me all the time. I look at lists
over and over and cannot understand why this is happening. I've even
tried limiting Apache to a minimum of connections (sometimes as low as
300 maximum requests for the whole Apache daemons), but it didn't
help -- eventualy, mysqld would go into this almost-dead state and no
more Web pages would be served correctly.

I'm attaching the my.cnf file for you to examine. Remember, this is the
stock my.cnf file that came with MySQL for large Web sites (those having
more than 512MB of memory), with a little modification.

By the way, someone on the MySQL mailing list suggested that BSD's
threading support "sucks", and only after he moved to Debian that these
simptoms disappeared.

I'd appreciate any hint or fix that you might have, and I would even let
serious bug-hunters/mysql gurus get a shell on our server to try to
check and fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Noor

------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C083CC.A0EF2C90

# This is for large system with memory =3D 512M where the system runs =
mainly=0A=
# MySQL.=0A=
=0A=
[client]=0A=
#password	=3D your_password=0A=
port		=3D 3306=0A=
socket		=3D /mysql/mysql.socket=0A=
=0A=
[mysqld]=0A=
port		=3D 3306=0A=
socket		=3D /mysql/mysql.socket=0A=
pid-file	=3D /mysql/mysql.pid=0A=
tmpdir		=3D /mysql/tmp/=0A=
skip-locking=0A=
skip-name-resolve=0A=
log=0A=
set-variable	=3D key_buffer=3D256M=0A=
set-variable	=3D max_allowed_packet=3D1M=0A=
set-variable	=3D table_cache=3D256=0A=
set-variable	=3D sort_buffer=3D1M=0A=
set-variable	=3D record_buffer=3D1M=0A=
set-variable	=3D myisam_sort_buffer_size=3D64M=0A=
set-variable	=3D thread_cache=3D8=0A=
set-variable	=3D thread_concurrency=3D2	# Try number of CPU's*2=0A=
set-variable	=3D max_connections=3D200=0A=
#log-bin=0A=
#server-id	=3D 1=0A=
=0A=
# Uncomment the following if you are using BDB tables=0A=
#set-variable	=3D bdb_cache_size=3D64M=0A=
#set-variable	=3D bdb_max_lock=3D100000=0A=
=0A=
# Point the following paths to different dedicated disks=0A=
#tmpdir		=3D /tmp/		=0A=
#log-update 	=3D /path-to-dedicated-directory/hostname=0A=
=0A=
[mysqldump]=0A=
quick=0A=
set-variable	=3D max_allowed_packet=3D16M=0A=
=0A=
[mysql]=0A=
no-auto-rehash=0A=
#safe-updates	# Remove the comment character if you are not familiar =
with SQL=0A=
=0A=
[isamchk]=0A=
set-variable	=3D key_buffer=3D128M=0A=