Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:01:07 -0500
From:      <Tony@ServaCorp.com>
To:        "Andy Ruhl" <acruhl@gmail.com>, "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@mit.edu>
Cc:        misc@openbsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
Subject:   RE: The future of NetBSD

Andy Ruhl wrote:

> On 8/30/06, Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu> wrote:
> > The NetBSD Project has stagnated to the point of irrelevance.  It has
>
> Let me start by saying I'm probably not qualified to reply to this
> thread, but I was never worried about making a fool out of myself
> before so here goes...
>
> I am a former user of FreeBSD and occasional user of OpenBSD. Haven't
> had much experience with either in the last year or so.
>
> So...
>
> Stagnant? Yes. Irrelevance? Possibly.
>
> But, BUT, can anyone tell me where I can get an OS that I can build
> easily from the same place to run on my NEC PDA as well as an old IBM
> PowerPC box I just happened to have sitting around and doing nothing
> else? And I'm typing this now on an AMD64 box that ran stably long
> before FreeBSD did (yes, I tested both). Nobody else can say that. Is
> it relevant? It's funny how much more relevant NetBSD's philosophy
> becomes as i386 becomes irrelevant. While the others (FreeBSD in
> particular) seemed to be scrambling for another architecture, NetBSD
> just quietly supported them without any fanfare (IA-64 excluded, but
> it's more irrelevant than NetBSD!).
>
> There are strengths that go right down to the core of the project.
> They are still there. They won't ever be irrelevant. They just need to
> be built upon. The cleanliness, portability, and ease of use is there.
>
> So you're probably right. A strong leader is needed to recruit people
> to complete new projects and generally keep things relevant. If it's a
> people problem, I hope someone can fix it.
>
> Too bad the guy who used to say "I probably don't know what I'm
> talking about" isn't here to comment.
>
> Andy

With a straight line like that, I cannot resist:

Seems like somebody is complaining that stability is the same thing
as stagnating to the point of irrelevance.

A chicken running around sans head is quite active.
Not really the same thing as productive.

Microsoft Windows goes patch-happy,
and the rate for compromised machines goes to five cents each.

I don't know what I'm talking about (no probably about it)
but there's stuff running around considerably worse.