Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:05:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Ben Short <bshort@shortboy.net>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: bind-9.1.1rc1

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Ben Short wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Just a simplish question - is there a Makefile around that will install
> bind9 over the binary base install of fbsd, using its config files etc, for
> 4.x?

	This has been discussed on -questions several times, check the
archives. Personally I don't recommend it. It's just as easy to use the
existing mechanisms in rc.conf to start the proper version at boot time.
If you're concerned about cow-orkers starting the wrong one, set the no
bind option in /etc/make.conf and replace /usr/sbin/named with a script
like this:

#!/bin/sh

echo "Hey, didn't I tell you to start named in /usr/local?"

> Last time I tried, it resulted in me losing my system for a day

	Sounds like a good reason not to do this. :)

Doug
--
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory . . . lasts forever."
        -- Keanu Reeves as Shane Falco in "The Replacements"