Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:54:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   INSTALL_PROGRAM considered harmful for Linux apps

In case it is not already in the handbook, could some add a remark
to the INSTALL_PROGRAM makro, or even better think of some way to
make it foolproof?

Im just testing the q3test port, and got a dozen of reboots due
to the fact that I used INSTALL_PROGRAM for executables and shared
libs:

This makro will not only install, but also strip the binaries!

Good in case of FreeBSD native stuff, very bad in case of Linux,
because the branding information gets stripped as well BIGBADABOOM!

I resorted to INSTALL_DATA plus CHMOD u+rx for the meanwhile.

Regards,
Marc