Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:54:07 -0700
From:      Andriy Babiy <ababiy@shaw.ca>
To:        Charles Bacon <crtb@cape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox plugins

>> I'm unable to find any reference to amd64 on Firefox FAQ and other
>> info sources.  I have an EVGA mobo with an AMD64 running FreeBSD 6.2
>> perfectly, with Firefox.  But every attempt at a plugin complains
>> either that it isn't windows or that it's an amd64.  I really want to
>> run Flash material.  Any ideas?
>Adobe only distributes linux binaries, so you need
l>inux-compatibility.
>On i386 the idea is to install
>   /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
>but that doesn't work with amd64 yet.
>
>Some people on this list claimed to be able to run
>  /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin9
>in linux-opera or linux-firefox with linux_base-fc6, but the
>latter will only be available with upcoming FreeBSD 7.0 branch.
>
>So for FreeBSD 6.2 now only /usr/ports/swfdec-plugin or
>/usr/ports/graphics/gnash remain. Both are OpenSource projects
>and can display something like flash 4 files or just crash your
>browser.

You might want to check the home page for swfdec; version 0.5.2
has been released, and according to the info on the page it should
work in most cases. Currently, we have 0.5.0 in the ports tree;
most banners will work, but other stuff won't.
If your question is limited to YouTube videos, you might use
youtube_dl - it's in the ports.

Andriy