Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:43:51 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop recommendations for 6.x

Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:15 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> I'm using an IBM/Lenovo T42 at the moment, but that's shortly going back,
>> so:
>>
>> Things I like:
>>
>>   * Suspend to RAM works
>
> It does? I have a T43, and suspend to ram only works sometimes, and
> sometimes it just doesn't wake up anymore. Are there any special
> settings you use?
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 6.2 with the following:
>
> In /boot/device.hints:
> | hint.apic.0.disabled=1
> | hint.psm.0.flags="0x2000"

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 (which was just released when I started using this
laptop, and I haven't had the chance to upgrade yet).  A colleague is using
another T42 (but with built in WiFi), and recently upgraded to 6.2.  I'll
check and see if he's had any problems with suspend/resume since upgrading.

I have no specific apic settings in device.hints, the psm settings are:

hint.psm.0.at="atkbdc"
hint.psm.0.irq="12"
hint.psm.0.flags="0x2000"

I recall having to add the flags entry, the others are probably defaults.

> In /boot/loader.conf:
> | acpi_video_load="YES"           # Load the ACPI video extension driver
> | hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" # Thinkpad Mousefix

My loader.conf contains:

snd_ich_load="YES"
hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
hw.acpi.reset_video=0
kern.maxfiles=25000
radeon_load="YES"

> and the usually acpi_ibm module loaded by if i'm running on battery.

I don't have an acpi_ibm module on this machine (at least, "locate acpi_ibm"
shows nothing).