Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 1996 17:25:56 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Ben Jackson <bjj@sequent.com>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buggy 2940 driver?

>I have a 2940 connected to (among other things) a QUPD1800S.  During
>extended periods of heavy read activity (ie backups) the device and/or
>card will eventually hang, leaving the machine hung (there's a swap
>partition on that disk).  The tape drive is on another SCSI controller,
>so it's not the problem.  I have had varying success avoiding the problem
>by running backups from a vt while the machine is otherwise idle, but
>sometimes it hangs anyway.
>
>After the hang the 2940 access light is on solid, as is the light on
>the drive.  I have upgraded to latest greatest drivers several times,
>since each has held the promise of more and smarter bus reset code, to
>no avail.  I don't have another similar drive to experiment with, but
>on my AHA1542Cf this same drive had no problems.
>
>--Ben

Well, as the author of the driver, what can I say?  I do the best
that I can in the amount of time that I have.  I welcome others to
learn about the Adaptec aic7xxx controllers, review the code, and
help fix the bugs.  I do hope that you will at least try the revision
that was just committed to the tree.  Althought I may not have fixed
all of the problems with it, I know that there are fewer bugs than
earlier releases.  I don't like the hangs and bugs any more than
you do, but I do take pride in my work and will continue to do
all I can to ensure a robust driver.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations