Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:32:55 -0800
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail ignoring MX records

peterjeremy> One of my systems insists on trying to deliver mail directly
peterjeremy> to A record addresses rather than via MX records.  I've tried
peterjeremy> comparing the configuration with a system that works sanely
peterjeremy> and can't find any explanation for this behaviour.  Does this
peterjeremy> ring a bell with anyone?

peterjeremy> The working system is running -STABLE from mid-September and
peterjeremy> the non-working system is -STABLE from mid-July - but both are
peterjeremy> the same sendmail.  DNS is working correctly (according to
peterjeremy> both dig and lynx).  The only possibly relevant difference is
peterjeremy> that the non-working system has a hostname that is totally
peterjeremy> different to the FQDN that is visible externally - but I don't
peterjeremy> think this is relevant.

Note that sendmail-questions@sendmail.org may be a better support address
for this type of question.

However, you might try a delivery with debugging to see why it is
failing.  As root:

date | sendmail -Am -v -d8.8 testaddress

where testaddress is an address on a remote host.