Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:07:39 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Alex Popa" <razor@ldc.ro>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SAMBA and IP filtering

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Popa" <razor@ldc.ro>
To: "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>

| AFAIK, the SMP protocol uses some (lots?) of broadcast packets.  If
| you are filtering those, you might have the problem you described.

Broadcasts are used for browsing on the local subnet, but once you cross
subnets (obviously) broadcasts become moot.

It's been my experience that SMB browsing is at best a marginal
successful experience and at worst a totally frustrating experience.
Samba browsing with Win2k appears to be totally broken to me, although
it generally works with Win9x clients and NT clients.

Usually tho I give up on browsing, and just do \\the.smb.server.fqdn\
which gets you a list of shares on the machine.

I'm not an SMB expert, either, but I think you need to be able to pass
traffic on 135, 137 and 138.  135 I'm a little fuzzy on, but for sure
137 and 138.  /etc/services lists these as both udp and tcp.