Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 05:58:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        lile@stdio.com (Larry S. Lile)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tokenring@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: Still having problems with my driver :(

> I still cannot get the upper network layers to respond to incoming
> packets.  I even hacked tcpdump to make sure that I was no wrecking
> the packets as I took them off the wire.

[ ... ]

What about the kernel printf's?

> The only messages I got indicating anything at all is wrong were
> these when I ifconfig the card up for the first time after a
> reboot.
>
> Jul 10 22:21:33 anarchy routed[69]: ignore RTM_ADD without gateway
> Jul 10 22:21:33 anarchy routed[69]: Send bcast sendto(tok0,
> 10.0.0.255.520): No buffer space available
> Jul 10 22:21:33 anarchy routed[69]: write(rt_sock) RTM_ADD 10.0.0.0/24
> --> 10.0.0.1: File exists
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong, or could someone please look at my
> code and help me figure this out.

This happens to me on my ppp link if I start pinging, but turn my
modem off (yes, I do bizarre things to see what would happen on
border cases) so the link can't come up.

Typically, it means that outbound packets haven't been sent, and the
output queue has filled up.

Have you tested this unidirectionally, ie: from some other system to
FreeBSD, or vice versa, where you don't need an echo?  This would
let you test the input and output seperately.

You should also probably put a fprintf in the soft interrupt handler.

> I have attached the tcpdump patches if someone would like to commit
> them to the source tree, I also sent them to the tcpdump maintainers.
> The source for my driver is at http://anarchy.stdio.com.

I went looking.  I see you put the LLC code in the driver itself?

I didn't see where you registered it with the system, or the driver
itself, for that matter (ie: no DATA_SET).

I couldn't see where you were calling ether_input()???

One thing you might want to consider is seting up the LLC in such a way
that you can ifconfig up a loopback interface through the LLC and back
for testing the upper layers down and back up.

Unfortunately, TR hardware wants a hub.  If I were still hanging out
at Weber State University, I'd take advantage of their networking lab;
as it is, I have no hardware to play with, and no known working other
end to talk to in any case.  The only thing I can recommend is that
you try and divide the problem into smaller pieces (per my suggestions,
above).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---