Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:02:29 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2-RELEASE '875 SCSI won't negotiage

On 1997-10-22 08:03 +0200, J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:
> As dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
>
> >  Went back and RTFM'ed my Asus SC875 manual and obsverved on page 11
> > the default Synchronous Transfer Rate (MS/Sec) (sic) is 20. So is this MB/
> > sec or MHz?
>
> MHz.  Together with the 16-bit bus, it makes a theoretical maximum of
> 40 MB/s (minus transaction overhead which is, as Stefan mentioned, not
> neglicible).

The theoretical maximum is 40,000,000 bytes per second,
or 38.1 * 1024*1024 bytes per second (== 38.1 MB/s).
This would still allow for some 600 transfers of 64KB
each.

Fast drives offer a command overhead of some 50us with
a fast controller. If the bus is to be saturated, and the
maximum transfer length is 64KB, then the overhead is at
least some 30ms per second, or 3%.

We get a maximum net data rate of some 36.9MB/s, under
those assumptions.

Regards, STefan