Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 05:47:39 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        moos@degnet.baynet.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this network possible with FreeBSD ???

>I have tried them all and they did NOT work !!!

AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE. LOOK AT THE ROUTER!
You, for some unknown reason, expect the FreeBSD box to fix a problem in
the routing tables at the router.

You have already admitted that you can go from 1.2.3.253 to the outside world.
Now configure the router so that it can take care of the 1.2.3 network.

A packet arriving from ANY address should be router toward the proper
destination.

The FreeBSD box thinks that ALL 1.2.3 addresses are on its ethernet.
The ROUTER must make that true.

The best solution is to have adajacent IP addresses for the FreeBSD box and
the Router and then use a netmask of 0xfffffffc.

As an alternative IN THE ROUTER, have it arp for the 1.2.3 addresses that
you wish to have visable to the FreeBSD box.

I'm sorry, but I am getting very tired of your attitude that it is the
fault of the FreeBSD box. Fix the f*cking router and quit blaming the
FreeBSD box.