Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:29:51 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Udo Wolter <udo.wolter@charite.de>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-Soundcards will vanish...

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 10:28:20AM +0000, Roger Hardiman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The lack of PCI soundcard support is down to three things.
> a) we need a developer with some spare time
> b) that developer needs a PCI sound card
> c) and they need the data sheets for the chipset.

I have an Ensoniq PCI card (label from SIIG). If someone can organize
the data sheets I can look at driver development as I put the other
driver I was working on to the side, as I need to understand some
other stuff before I can continue it.

> Often it is hard to get all three requirements met at the same time.
>
> Sometimes companies are reluctant to give out the chipset datasheets.
>
> But there is hope.
> NetBSD does have a driver for a PCI sound card (I forget which now)
> OSS does support some PCI soundcards. (I think the Sound Blaster 128)

CL has now a SB Live! Value out ($99 or less) and I could think about picking
one up too. But I have no time in hunting down data sheets as my day time
is real full right now.

--
Regards, Ulf.