Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:34:59 +0200
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Benjamin Lutz <mail@maxlor.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: parallel builds revisited

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Benjamin Lutz pí¨e v út 10. 04. 2007 v 04:52 +0200:
>
> > Some time ago, after buying a Core 2 Duo system, I've become interested
> > in doing something about the inherent single-threadedness of the ports.
> > Even though I have a dualcore machine, ports builds only ever use one
> > core. I started thinking about various approaches to introduce
> > parallelism to ports builds and wrote down my thoughts here:
> > http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ports&m=116124997126657&w=2
>
> I have same thoughts, and I wrote about it on Project Ideas page.
> That text materialized into a Summer of Code proposal, which is most
> probably going to get funded. So stay tuned. However, the proposal
> concentrates mainly on allowing several ports to build in parallel.

I do have a script/Makefile ready, that can be used to build several
ports in parallel (taking inter-dependencies into account). It _could_
be hacked into the current ports infrastructure, if we augment INDEX
with additional fields.

It is aimed mainly at release building/pointyhat but comes with almost
no software requirements (screen and zsh are the only external tools).

I'm having some problems with unionfs though, and need to implement two
different strategies first, before releasing an early version to the
public.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."