Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:31:04 -0500
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@noc.ntua.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Currently no Java for Linux-Mozilla on 4-Stable?

Panagiotis Astithas wrote on Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 06:40:37PM +0200:
> [dropped -stable form CC list]
>
> Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I was trying to install a jvm for the linux-mozilla port on 4-stable.
> > 4-stable of yesterday (updated) and all ports of yesterday except as
> > indicated.
> >
> > I am through all of them, blackdown-1.3, blackdown-1.4.2, checked out
> > the previous blackdown-1.4.1, Sun-1.3.1 and Sun-1.4.2.
> >
> > Most of them have incompatible C++ interfaces to the current
> > linux-mozilla, except blackdown-1.4.2, which doesn't run with
> >   "linux: syscall mmap2 is obsoleted or not implemented"
> > and Sun-1.4.2 which abort with a segmentation fault in hotspot.
>
> See the following page for some discussion on the issue:
> /usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/j2se/src/share/back/util.c
> Basically you have to use the correct plugin, depending on the way your
> mozilla is compiled. I don't use the linux version myself, so I can't be
> more specific.

Well, it the same issue on Linux and FreeBSD, you have to have your
binary compiled with the same compiler as you plugin (couldn't these
people use a C wrapper around the plugin interface?).

> > Doh.  Anyboody know how I can disable hotspot in the Sun JVM for a
> > plugin I know how to do it when calling the jvm directly, but for the
> > plugin I cannot give commandline parameters.  And in the 1.4.x
> > installs there is no hot spot directoy to move away.  Setting
> > everything to -classic in jvm.conf didn't change anything.
>
> -classic is not an option any more in 1.4.x, you have to use hotspot
> (client or server).

So am I only only one for whom neither Sun-jdk-1.4.x not
blackdown-jdk-1.4.2 work? Sun bails out with hotspot, blackdown with
mmap2.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/