Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:12:03 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does freebsd tolerate kernel upgrades well?

Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> [ I am not on this mailing list.  Please respond to me and I'll summarize. ]
>
> I have a machine running 2.1.5-RELEASE.  I want to run the latest
> stable kernel to get the linux emulator to run the Legato Networker
> backup program, and use the Intel 100 Mbit ethernet card driver (fxp).
>
> Does freebsd tolerate a kernel upgrade well like linux does, or must I
> reinstall the whole box from a consistant release?

You better do a complete upgrade. There's no need to reinstall, you can
simply upgrade, and it's pretty painless. The two main options being:
1. Choose the upgrade option on the installation disk of the version you
want to upgrade to.
2. Use CVSup and upgrade your sources (requires full source tree, but
lets you fetch any version you like). See the tutorials on the web site
for details.

If you'll upgrade just the kernel you'll probably end up with the same
type of problems you have with Linux when you do that - you'll have
utilities that won't work, libraries that won't match, etc.

> Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org
> Brian Bartholomew - bb@wv.com - www.wv.com - Working Version, Cambridge, MA
Nadav