Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 23:37:57 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, orders@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Missing FreeBSD-4.0 Distfiles on CDROM

Farid Hajji wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE (March 2000) CD-ROM Set
> and was _very_ disappointed, as I couldn't find any distfiles
> (sources), that go with /usr/ports! In previous releases (3.4-RELEASE
> and earlier), most distfiles were present on the CD Set. Are we
> now supposed to download package-sources directly off the 'Net?

Unfortunately: Yes and No. Due to space restrictions, distfiles dropped
off the 4.0-R-CD-ROMs (to make room for a lot more packages).

Read up on the WC-BSDi-Merger on http://www.daemonnews.org/.

> Is this an "official" distribution? The small printed booklet
> still points to orders@cdrom.com and the CDs look exactly the
> same in design as Walnut-Creek FreeBSD CDs. How can I check,
> that these CD-ROMs are trustworthy? MD5-Checksums??? What's
> going on here?

Nothing special. Two companies merged. FreeBSD stays the same.

> Can other FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE users confirm, that the distfiles are
> really missing on the "official" CDs?

Yes. Reasons explained in various Readmes, on the CD, too.

> Are the distfiles for the 4.0-RELEASE ports available on CD-ROM
> at all? (Which CD-ROM and where please?)

FreeBSD-Toolkit, still to be produced, AFAIK.

> Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Yes, I'm missing the distfiles, too. Modems at home are
not helpful for getting distfiles, remote locations don't help, too.
Maybe BSDi thinks about another scheme to get the distfiles to the
people.

Have fun
-Christoph Sold