Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:03:18 -0600
From:      "eculp@encontacto.net" <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't do a portupgrade -rf on any of my mail/courier installation

Quoting Milan Obuch <freebsd-ports@dino.sk>:

> On Sunday 12 November 2006 22:05, eculp@bafirst.com wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Strange problem trying to run portupgrade -rf mail/courier on both
>> current and 6.2-PRERELEASE with all ports up to date.  Only one of the
>> machines has an older courier that I tried to update and get the error
>> so I decided I would build a package from one of the up to date
>> installations but much to my surprise I get the same error.  One of
>> the installations I just built within the las 15 days so it would seem
>> that it can be built but not rebuilt which makes no sense to me.  All
>> of the courier installations are working fine.  This all came to light
>> with a portupgrade -afr on one machine.  Same thing with a cd
>> /usr/ports/mail/courier; make
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> ed
>>

> This seems to be an issue with either fam or gamin as currently present in
> ports tree. I do not understand everything in detail, one does not link (j=
ust
> as you showed), the second one builds but does not run (imapd dumps core, =
so
> no usable imap server). If someone with more fam/gamin knowledge could hel=
> here, it would be great. As a temporary workaround, you could comment out
> line in Makefile telling WITH_FAM=3D YES (or something similar is there) a=
nd be
> just fine, loosing ENHANCED IDLE support, however. You could even update t=
his
> way to 0.53.3, by the way. I did not try to put this update into PR yet
> exactly due this fam/gamin issue.
> Regards,
> Milan

Hi, Milan,

The strange thing is that I built a new courier on Nov. 2.  I =20
installed it fine without having fam but it built gamin but then I had =20
problems with courier until I built and installed fam and after that =20
all was well.  I didn't change anything else.  From what you are =20
saying and from the experience that I had, I would assume that what =20
you suggest is basically what I did.  That just might be worth a try =20
but it seems a bit weird.

Thanks for the reply.  As always your help is invaluable.  You've =20
really got the freebsd courier port down.

ed