Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:03:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josh Elsasser <jre@vineyard.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/29248: XFree86 4.1 hangs with an i815 chip while XFree86 4.0.3 works

>Number:         29248
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       XFree86 4.1 hangs with an i815 chip while XFree86 4.0.3 works
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
XFree86 4.1 (from ports) locks up on an i815 chip (Sony Vaio PGC-FX220
laptop).  When I would start the server the screen would go black.
Nothing short of ssh'ing in and kill-9ing X would get me back to the
console.  Looking through the server output (which I no longer have,
sorry), I didn't find any errors.  When I grabbed the port of XFree86
4.0.3 and installed it, X started just fine.  I also have linux on
this box, and XFree86 4.1 works.

>How-To-Repeat:
Get a Sony Vaio PGC-FX200 with FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE, XFree86 4.1, and
the /usr/ports/x11/wrapper port, then type 'startx'
>Fix:
It took me a week just to get X running, you think I could actually
FIX something like this?  So, no.  I have no fix.