Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:53:57 +0100
From:      Lukasz Stelmach <Lukasz.Stelmach@telmark.waw.pl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   if_stf and rfc1918

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

Greetings All.

Once I've discussed this matter with Hajimu UMEMOTO and he posted a patch
that made it possible to run 6to4 router behind a nat (FreeBSD 4.x). Soon
I will probably be upgrading my old system to 5.x release so I checked
if newer stf code allows such operation and to my disapointment I've
found out that it doesn't (or at least it seems so). The comment in the
code says that it is a requirement of RFC3056. I've check it and in fact
it says that RFC1918 addresses MUST NOT be used as NLAs in 6to4 addresses.
But IMHO it does not mean that I can't run my 6to4 router behind a NAT
at all. In such a situation the IPv6 address contains valid public IPv4
address and the private one in the IPv4 header is substitutet by NAT. So
after the packets leave my site they are completly valid 6to4 packets.
Also when 6to4 packets come to me they are handeled properly.

My question now is why FreeBSD is so restrictive about it.

Best regards,
=A3ukasz Stelmach.

PS. Please cc: the answer, thank you.
--=20
|/       |_,  _   .-  --,  Ju=BF z ka=BFdej strony pe=B3zn=B1, potworne =BF=
=B1dze
|__ |_|. | \ |_|. ._' /_.         B=EAd=EA uprawia=B3 nierz=B1d, za pieni=
=B1dze

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--